Disability Resource Center

Faculty Resources

Required Syllabus Statement

Disability/Accessibility Resources
UT welcomes all students and strives to make the learning experience accessible. If you are a student with a medical, psychological, or learning disability that may require accommodations for this course, you are encouraged to contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) as soon as possible. You may request reasonable accommodations at any time during the semester; however, they are not retroactive. The DRC is located next door to the Testing Center in the North Commons Building (435 652-7516, drc@utahtech.edu, drcenter.utahtech.edu).

Helpful Trainings

Extend time on Canvas for individual students

Watch Training

For additional help contact Scott Allen (7936), or Jared Johnson (7950) in the IT department.

How to set up closed caption on Canvas

Learn More

For additional help contact Issac Esplin (7959) in the IT department.

Exam Instructions for Professors

Learn More

Faculty Rights and Responsibilities

  • The right to ask for verification from the Disability Resource Center when the student requests an accommodation in his/her course or program.
  • The right to consult the Disability Resource Center with any questions or concerns regarding approved accommodations.
  • The right to expect the student with a disability to meet the same academic standards as peers in the course.
  • The responsibility to inform the student of the procedure to request accommodations syllabus statement.
  • The responsibility to provide accommodations in a timely manner once they have been verified by the Disability Resource Center.
  • The responsibility to meet with the student privately to discuss disability related issues and to maintain confidentiality about any information disclosed in discussions with the student or the Disability Resource Center.

Service Animals

A service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability.
If encountered with a service dog, faculty and staff may ask the owner only these questions.

  1. Is the dog required for use because of a disability?
  2. What service(s) has the dog been trained to perform?

Service animals and their owners must be allowed equal access to all UT facilities and activities unless otherwise restricted by the nature of an event or activity.

Service dog owners are responsible to keep their animals clean, odor free and to clean up after them; as well as keep them leashed and under control.

Students, faculty and staff should allow the animal to concentrate on the service(s) they are trained for by not touching or disturbing it in anyway.

If a service dog’s behavior is interfering with learning or an activity, faculty and staff may politely ask them to leave. If the owner does not cooperate, University Police may be contacted.


What are my legal obligations with regards to students with disabilities?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and The Americans with Disability Act (ADA) as amended, are what govern post-secondary institutions responsibilities to individuals with disabilities. Both acts are aimed at preventing discrimination against individuals based on their disability and are what direct UT’s scope of providing equal educational opportunities for all qualified students with disabilities.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 was the first law to specifically address the needs of students with disabilities. It states in part:

No qualified student with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any … postsecondary education program or activity … [Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, 84.43]

An institution shall make such modifications to its academic requirements as are necessary to ensure that such requirements do not discriminate or have the effect of discrimination on the basis of handicap, against a qualified handicapped applicant or student … Modifications may include changes in the length of time permitted for the completion of degree requirements, substitution of specific courses required for the completion of degree requirements, and adaptation of the manner in which specific courses are conducted. [Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, 84.44]

The ADA was passed in 1990 to support and supplement existing disability laws, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. ADA legislation seeks to assure equal access for persons with disabilities in the areas of education, training, and employment. The mandates of the ADA apply to all institutions of higher education, regardless of the receipt of federal funds.

Under the ADA, a person with a disability is defined as any person who:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.
  • Has a record of such impairment.
  • Is regarded as having such an impairment

What is an accommodation?

Modifications or adjustments to the task, environment or to the way things are usually done that enable individuals with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to participate in an academic program. (U.S. Department of Education, 2007)

Can I ask for verification or documentation of a student’s disability?

No, faculty should not request disability documentation. It is the DRC’s responsibility to collect the documentation and communicate with the faculty the needed accommodation. It is recommended that faculty/staff do not accept documentation.

How will I know that a student has an accommodation?

The student will provide you with a Faculty Notification of Approved ADA Accommodations letter. If a student tells you about an accommodation and you have not received notice from the DRC, please ask the student to request the accommodation through the DRC.

When a student asks for an accommodation based on their disability, do I have to give it?

No, accommodations should be reviewed by and coordinated through the DRC and should not change an essential element of the course. The DRC will work with you to make sure that the accommodation is appropriate for your course.

If a student requests an accommodation that I am willing to provide, do I still need them to go to the DRC?

If the student is asking for something you would do for any student, then you do not need to coordinate with the DRC. If you would only do it because of a student’s disability, please refer the student to the DRC.

Is a student required to tell me they have a disability?

No, students do not have to disclose that they have a disability. The decision to disclose can be a difficult one and students must have the right to make that decision for themselves. A student must self-identify as a person with a disability to receive accommodations.

Will the DRC inform me anytime a student with a disability is in my class?

No, the DRC only informs faculty when an accommodation has been requested.

How should I respond when a student tells me they have anxiety or depression?

Whether the student will need an accommodation or not, our office should be recommended as well as the Booth Wellness Center. We work with faculty and students in providing reasonable accommodations and support. Most of our referrals are from faculty for students who genuinely need our services.

How can faculty get support and training when they encounter a student with suspected anxiety/depression?

The best support for faculty in this situation is to refer the student to the Booth Wellness Center where they can get help from licensed professionals. However, it may be helpful to contact the Booth Wellness Center with the student to help them make the connection to these counseling services as students may feel hesitant to ask for help.

Ongoing support is offered by the Booth Wellness Center (435-652-7755). Periodically, they also sponsor various trainings for faculty and staff. We recommend participating in the QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) Suicide Prevention Training. This training will assist you in recognizing the signs and symptoms of suicidal behaviors and attitudes, as well as, provide skills to offer hope and vital prevention resources.

If I suspect a student could use your support, how do I refer them without offending them?

You may ask them a question like, “What did you find helpful in high school to succeed in classes?”. Their answer may indicate that they received accommodations or they may choose at that point to disclose a disability.

Can employees get accommodations?

Yes, employee accommodations can be requested through HR.

Am I required to find a notetaker for a student?

If they receive that accommodation, they will give you a sign-up sheet to make an announcement and pass around your class. It is the student’s responsibility to get the sign-up sheet from you and return it to the DRC. Please remember to keep the student’s name confidential. If no one signs up, it would be helpful for you to reach out to some of your students that seem to take good notes. They can take a picture of their notes on their phone and email them to the DRC after each class and they will be paid for this.

Do I have to let my student test at the DRC if they receive that accommodation?

Yes. However, if you can provide an alternative site where the student will still receive their accommodations, you may present that option to the student. The student may still be more comfortable testing at the DRC.

Is my exam secure at the DRC?

All exams are kept locked up and when returned, the DRC asks for a signature from the individual it is being delivered to. This may be the instructor, administrative assistant, a fellow instructor in your department or placed in your mailbox. If the DRC is unable to deliver to the instructor they will send an email letting you know who signed for it.

Is the student proctored when taking a test at the DRC?

Yes, we have cameras in our testing rooms and proctor the student while they are taking their test.

Do I have to be at the student’s discretion of when they take their exam?

No, the DRC will contact you via email when your student schedules a test for all necessary information. The DRC requests that students schedule tests at least 24 hrs. in advance.


Disabilities Resource Center

Email: drc@utahtech.edu

Phone: 435-652-7516

Fax: 435-879-4038

Office: North Commons Building